Believe it or not, rice cooked in apple juice is delicious. Try this recipe for a salad with a difference.
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 2 1/4 cups apple juice
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 large red apple
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 150g baby spinach or small mixed lettuce leaves
- 100g Danish fetta, crumbled
- Place rice, apple juice, water and a pinch of salt in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cover. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 30 – 45 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked through. If necessary add more water to stop the rice boiling dry. Remove from heat and strain, then transfer rice to a bowl and allow it to cool.
- Core apple. Cut into 1cm cubes. Toss with lemon juice to coat.
- Add spinach, apple, and crumbled fetta and cranberries to the rice. Toss gently to combine. Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with honey mustard vinaigrette on the side.
Return to Gluten Free Salad Recipes page
Return to Main Recipes Page
Return to Home Page