Delicious, creamy risotto. This is a vegetarian version, but you can add chicken or prawns if you need meat.
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup good white wine
- approx 750ml good vegetable stock
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 2 handsful fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup mixed green veggies – peas, broccoli, beans
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring your stock to a simmer and keep hot while you cook the risotto. You need the stock hot to speed up the cooking process and make the risotto creamier.
- Gently cook the onions in about 1 dessertspoon of butter until translucent
- Add the garlic and cook for another couple of minutes
- Add the arborio rice and stir well
- Pour in the wine and cook until the wine is absorbed
- Gradually add the simmering stock, about half a cupful at a time stirring well each time until it has been absorbed before adding the next half a cup of stock
- When the rice is almost cooked add the vegetables except for the spinach
- Continue to gradually add the stock and simmer until the rice is cooked – you may not need all the stock
- Season to taste with the salt and pepper
- Add the butter, most of the Parmesan (reserve a bit to sprinkle over the top of the finished dish) and the spinach leaves. Stir through gently until the butter and cheese has melted.
- Serve with the rest of the Parmesan cheese sprinkled on the top.
Return to Home Page
Return to Other Recipes Page
Return to Recipes Page