A friend of mine used to regularly ask me for a decent vegetarian lasagna recipe. This here is a cannelloni recipe, but you can use the filling in lasagna instead if you want. She’s given up asking, but – Sue – this recipe is for you!
- 250g ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 jar pasta sauce (or make your own if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup tasty cheese grated
- 200g baby spinach leaves
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten (traditionally this recipe calls for just the egg yolks but I hate wasting the rest of the egg and it tastes just fine my way)
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 packet Gluten free cannelloni
- Preheat the oven to 200C (400F)
- Beat the eggs and stir into the ricotta cheese
- Add the Parmesan cheese and nutmeg
- Was and spin dry the spinach leaves if necessary
- Mix the pasta sauce with about half the same volume of water
- Get a 20cm wide baking dish and put enough pasta sauce in the baking dish to cover the bottom.
- Now is the time to get your hands dirty! Open your packet of cannelloni and have the shells ready on the bench top.
- Using your hands mix the spinach leaves and cheese mixture together thoroughly. If you really hate getting your hands dirty you could use a couple of forks to do this job but I find hands make it all mix together more evenly.
- Again, using your hands, stuff each cannelloni shell quite tightly with the spinach and cheese mixture. As you fill each shell, place in the baking dish in a single layer.
- Once you have used all the mixture, cover the shells with more pasta sauce. If I have some of the cheese mixture left I like to pour that over the pasta sauce.
- Top with the grated tasty cheese
- Bake for about 40 minutes, until the cannelloni is tender
Return to Home Page
Return to Other Recipes Page
Return to Recipes Page