Foolproof, gluten free choux pastry. It’s not as difficult as you think! Use this to make eclairs. cream puffs, or profiteroles.
- 100g unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup gluten free plain flour minus 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Mix the flours together thoroughly
- Beat the eggs lightly and set aside
- Put the milk, water and butter into a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring constantly until the butter has melted
- Remove from the heat and put all the flour into the saucepan in one go, and beat well with a wooden spoon until the dough is mixed together well and is smooth
- Return to the heat for 1 minute, continuing to beat until the dough is glossy and comes away from the walls of the saucepan
- Put into a mixing bowl and mix at low speed for about 30 seconds to lower the temperature of the dough
- Gradually add the beaten egg and mix well at medium speed each time until the egg is completely mixed into the dough. Do not add more egg until the last addition has been properly absorbed.
- Once the last of the egg has been added, continue to mix the dough for about 2 minutes until it is smooth and glossy
- The final dough should be somewhere between a cake batter and a traditional dough. The right consistency is when the dough “tears” away when you lift it out of the bowl.
- Put the dough into an icing bag with a large round nozzle, or no nozzle at all. You need about a 1.5 cm opening.
- Line a baking dish with baking paper and pipe the dough into 12 to 14 cm lengths
- Use a wet finger to smooth the ends of the eclairs
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown
- Turn the oven off, remove the eclairs from the oven and make a small slit in them, then return to the oven for another 15 minutes to dry out properly.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack
- Fill with gluten free custard and whipped cream
- Cover with melted chocolate
Return to Home Page
Return to Pastry and Pies Recipe Page
Return to Recipes Main Page