A real show-stopper for parties, or for indulging yourself. Sweet and smooth, this tart is just lovely with Rum and Raisin ice-cream, or with a generous dollop of cream.
- 1 quantity sweet gluten free shortcrust pastry
- 165g (6oz) unsalted butter, chopped
- 350g (12oz) caster sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp water
- 250g (9oz) walnuts coarsely chopped
- 100ml (3.5 fl. oz) milk
- 100ml (3.5 fl. oz) double cream
- icing sugar for dusting
- vanilla or rum & raisin ice-cream
- Cook a 20cm (8 in) pastry blind with sweet shortcrust pastry and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile place a heavy based saucepan over medium heat, add the sugar and water and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Note – even though this recipe calls for only 2 tablespoonsful of water, I find it easier to use more water to dissolve the sugar faster and prevent it crystalising. It will still make perfectly fine caramel, it will just take a little longer. You can use up to a cupful of water if that works for you.
- Continue to cook, without stirring, for 15 – 20 minutes or until sugar is golden.
- Immediately remove the caramel from heat and set aside.
- Place milk and cream in a small saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Whisk into caramel until well combined.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Gradually add the butter, stirring after adding each piece until well combined.
- Whisk in the egg until well combined.
- Add the walnuts and stir well.
- Pour mixture into cooled tart shell and bake for 35-40 minutes or until filling has just set.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool for 20 minutes.
- Dust heavily with icing sugar and serve with ice-cream to the side.
Return to Pastry and Pies Recipe Page
Return to Recipes Main Page
Return to Home Page