I got a new set of biscuit (cookie) cutters the other day so decided to have a play. Here’s the result. So good my partner ate pretty much all of them while I was at work.
- 100g unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 medium free-range egg, lightly beaten
- 275g gluten free plain flour
- 25g tapioca flour
- 2 tsp xanthan or guar gum
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
2 egg whites, lightly whisked
500g pkt pure icing sugar
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Food colourings and flavourings, to decorate
- Preheat oven to 175C
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add the beaten egg and mix to combine
- Add the vanilla extract
- If using an electric mixer, change to the dough hook
- Add the dry ingredients and mix for a couple of minutes to make sure all ingredients are combined. Add flavourings at this stage if you want as well. I used cocoa in one batch to make chocolate flavoured biscuits, the second batch I added orange essence and a teaspoon of poppy seeds, and the third batch I left unflavoured.
- Split a plastic shopping bag along the side and bottom and open out, or cut 2 largeish pieces of cling wrap. Put the dough in the middle of one of the pieces of cling wrap, or in the middle of the opened out shopping bag. Cover with the other piece of plastic.
- Roll out to about 4 or 5 mm thick and use your biscuit cutter to cut out your shapes. Keep reforming and rolling the dough until you have used it all up
- Place biscuits on a biscuit tray or baking dish and bake for about 25 minutes
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on a wire rack
- When cool ice and decorate as desired
- Combine all the ingredients together and whisk until smooth
- Add colours and flavours as desired. For the chocolate biscuits I added a shot of coffee and extra icing sugar to make it stiffen up, the second lot of icing had a spoonful of orange juice, and the third batch had no added flavours.
- Carefully spread over cooled biscuits
- To get a nice smooth surface, wet your finger and use it to smooth out any imperfections.
Back to Gluten Free Recipes Page
Back to Home Page