This makes a seriously big cake. So make it when you have an army to feed.
- 600g gluten free plain flour
- 600g butter or margarine
- 600g sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla essence
- 12 eggs
- 2 tsp xanthan or guar gum
- 2 tsp gluten free baking powder
- red, yellow, blue, green food colouring
- 750g butter, room temperature
- 1.5 kg gluten free icing sugar mix, or pure icing sugar
- a little milk
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 500g cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 kg gluten free icing sugar mix, or pure icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 175C
- Line a 23 x 29 cm lamington baking tin with baking paper
- Sift the flour, gum and baking powder together 3 times
- Cream 100g each of the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
- Add 100g of the flour mix, 3 eggs and 1/2 tsp of vanilla essence and mix thoroughly to combine
- Add red and blue food colouring to get a purple coloured batter
- Spread the batter into the lamington tin and level off
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with a little caster sugar, cover with a layer of baking paper and flip over to remove it from the pan
- Loosely roll the cake up from the short side and put to one side to cool
- Repeat above 5 more times, each time tinting the cake a different colour. I used purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, and red. I made the orange by making the batter yellow, then adding red until I got the right shade of orange.
- While the cakes are cooling make your butter cream and cream cheese frosting
- Beat the butter until soft, then mix in the icing sugar
- Add enough milk to make a medium butter cream mix – soft enough to spread, but not stiff enough to tear the cake
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat the cream cheese thoroughly until there it is smooth
- Mix in the icing sugar
- Split into two bowls and tint one light pink, and the other a darker pink
Assemble the Cake
- Take the purple cake, unroll from the baking paper and trim the edges straight if necessary.
- Cut the cake in half lengthways
- Spread the butter cream on one of the lengths only, and roll it up
- Place it vertically on your plate
- Take the blue cake, carefully unroll it, trim the edges and cut lengthways
- Cover one piece with butter cream and wrap around the purple cake
- Take the green cake, carefully unroll, trim and cut in half. Cover both halves in butter cream and wrap around the cake. You may need to trim a little off so you don’t get an overlap.
- Continue with the next cakes going from green to yellow, orange and then red. The last colour will not wrap completely around the cake.
- Use the last of the butter cream to make a crumb covering – cover the cake in a very thin layer of butter cream and put in the fridge to set.
- Once it crumb cover has set, cover the top and about halfway down the side with the light pink icing, cover the bottom half of the cake with the darker pink incing and blend the two colours together in the middle. Smooth off, and refrigerate until about an hour before you want to serve.
- To serve, remove from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature, slice and serve.