My variation of the classic bundt cake. As well as being gluten free (of course!) it has a sweet secret in the middle.
- 170g (6oz) butter
- ¾ cup icing sugar (sifted)
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- ¾ tsp vanilla essence
- ¾ tsp almond essence
- 2¼ cups plain (all-purpose) gluten free flour mix
- ½ tsp guar or xanthan gum, or 1 dessertspoon psyllium
- 1½ tsp gluten free baking powder
- Pinch salt
- ⅓ cup flaked almonds
- ¾ cup milk
Streusel Swirl (optional)
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Generously grease a bundt cake tin, or fluted ring cake tin.
- Coat the sides of the cake tin with the flaked almonds.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and creamy.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time and beat until smooth.
- Stir in the vanilla and almond essences.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and gum or psyllium three times.
- Fold into the butter and sugar mixture alternately with the milk.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Stir a spoonful unto the cake mixture and incorporate well.
- Gently fold the rest of the egg whites into the cake mixture. The idea is to mix the cake mix and egg whites together until there are no flecks of egg white visible, but do it gently enough so as not to knock all the air out.
- Either pour all the mixture into cake tin, or pour half the mixture into the cake tin. Crumble the streusel mixture around the top of the cake mix, making sure it doesn’t reach the edges, but go fairly close to the outside edge. Then spoon the remaining cake mix into the cake tin.
- Bake for about 1½ hours or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to stand for 15 minutes before turning out onto cake rack to cool.
- When completely cool, dust with sifted icing sugar.
- Combine all ingredients together to form a crumbled mix.