A timeless classic with a twist. Take the classic recipe up a notch with marmalade flavoured cream.
- 2 seedless oranges
- 6 eggs, separated
- 250g caster sugar
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- Grated zest of 1 lemon & 1 lime, or 2 lemons
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups almond meal
- 300ml thickened cream
- 150g mascarpone cheese
- 1/3 cup Seville Orange Marmalade
- Place whole oranges in a pan over high heat and cover with cold water.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 ½ hours, topping up with more water when necessary. Drain and allow to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 180OC (350OF).
- Line the sides and bottom of a 23cm springform cake pan with baking paper, making sure the paper comes higher than the sides of the pan. The cake will rise a little higher than the sides of the pan.
- Roughly chop the cooked oranges, place in a food processor and whiz to a smooth puree. Set aside.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Place the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and beat until thick and pale.
- Fold in the vanilla, citrus zests, baking powder and orange puree, then fold the almond meal in gently.
- Fold mixture gently into beaten egg whites until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for approximately 1.5 hours, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool slightly in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the marmalade cream, whisk the cream to almost soft peaks. Add the mascarpone and whisk gently to combine. Gently swirl through the marmalade, then spread over the cake.